Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tired of going in circles?

Many times we find ourselves making the same mistakes over and over again.  We try different approaches, we ask our friends for advice, we read self help books, etc.  But nothing seems to change. So we get discouraged and start to lose hope that things will ever change.

In the Bible, the Israelites found themselves in much the same predicament when they had been wandering in the desert for 40 years.  I'm sure they were growing tired of literally going in circles.  Do you know what God said to them in the midst of their frustration?  In Deuteronomy 2:3, God said, "You have circled this mountain long enough.  Now turn north."



That is about the best advice I've ever heard.  Now turn north.  What does that mean in our lives?  It means to look North (to God).  Seek His wisdom in making the changes you need to make in your life.  Read the Bible daily. Start attending a Bible study.  Join an online Bible study.  Pray more.  Go to a Bible teaching church regularly.  When you begin to focus more on God, you find that His focus has been on you all along.  He wants to help you but He won't help us if we don't ask Him to.

I've counseled many people over the last 21 years.  Many of them were going in circles and looking for answers.  I'm supposed to provide the answers.  When I point people to the Answer, their problems become smaller and they have more peace.

A little over five years ago, I lost my husband suddenly to cancer.  Cancer was literally diagnosed 3 weeks before he died.  We were all very shocked and numb over this.  My daughter was a freshman in college and my son was a freshman in high school.  I did not have a clue how to navigate this new course my life had taken.  I also had counseling clients depending on my wisdom.  I didn't have time to wallow in my new status as a 'widow'.  What did I do?  I turned North.  I clung to God like a small child clings to daddy's legs.  I bought a Chronological Bible and started reading it every day.  I prayed for wisdom and for help.  And I was at peace.  Looking back, I realize that for every little bump along the road, God had already been there ahead of me preparing the way.  My children are doing well.  And I remarried last year.  God is so very good to us.

So I ask again:  "Are you going in circles in your life?"  My advice to you is "Now Turn North."

No comments:

Post a Comment